"With Pecorino In Hand I'm Off to the Countryside"

Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Montepulciano and Pienza:
Mercoledi, Aprile 14, 3.75 miles

Now that I've actually been back stateside for a couple months, I believe it's time I finish my blogging. I know it seems a little late, but let's just call it my Italian side; enjoying life and taking it slow......


Montepulciano
We started the day in Montepulciano for a couple of hours to visit San Biagio. It was extremely foggy so there's not much we could actually see. The cool fog gave an odd combination of eerie yet peaceful.




















San Biagio

















































Inside San Biagio















outside, looking up between one of the side chapels and the main church















intricately detailed moldings















a closeup of some algae















an old man contemplating the world















old man looking for four leaf clovers (or something...)


































a neighborhood cat










taking time to enjoy some plants


Pienza




















Check out that paving detail (or not if you don't want. But it's just what I do, what can I say, I'm a landscape architecture student!)














Looking over Val D'Orcia














Heidi, Laura, and I














Walking along the overlook we came across a beautiful row of trees.














Old man on a bike




















some flowers




















Entry to Pienza














A gathering of old men while their wives shop (I assume...)




















Street of Pienza



























The courtyard of Palazzo Piccolomini

Palazzo Piccolomini built in 1459 was the summer residence of Enea Silvio Piccolomini and Pope Pius II. It's one the first examples of Renaissance architecture.




















In the formal garden of the Palazzo looking out to the valley.















In the garden looking back up at the Palazzo.














Looking down at the garden from one of the balconies.














The balcony




















And now it's lunch time at the very best restaurant in Italy!
Trattoria Bar- La Buca Della Fate




























Ready to feast!




















The wine. Oh, the wine!


















































Course 1: Bruschetta with various spreads














Course 2: Lasagna (this alone was worth the trip!)














Course 3: Salad, Roast Beef, Roast Chicken, and Sausage














Course 4: Dessert! Tiramisu (which I don't typically like, but I loved this!)




















The end of the meal. Look at all those empty wine glasses. Eight of us finished about 10 bottles of wine. But we weren't ready to leave yet and the professors still had a couple pitchers left.

Soooo, Josh D. went and asked if we could finish theirs:
"I think Tony intended for you to have a productive afternoon." Norma

"I know...but I hate to waste good wine." Josh

"Oh, they've been working hard, they deserve it." Mark

Ohhhh, we were VERY happy the rest of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment