"Have I Told You About the Time My Wife and I Camped In East St. Louis?..."

Friday, August 13, 2010
Villa Lante and Bomarzo:
Mercoledi, Aprile 21, 3.25 miles


Villa Lante















The bus waiting to take us to Villa Lante in Bagnaia. The Great Moretti Bus Company. Let me tell you, these bus drivers can maneuver with the best of them, weaving through narrow medieval streets, around winding country hill roads, and parallel parking. Yes, I said parallel parking, they can parallel park these buses like none other.















Entry to Villa Lante














Fontana Del Pegaso















a fly on some shrubbery














Look at that drainage running right along the bottom step.














Looking down at the Quadrato and the Fountain of the Moors














some blooming Azaleas




















Catena D'Acqua/Cordonata Del Gambero




















Catena D'Acqua/Cordonata Del Gambero looking out towards the town of Bagnaia



























Laura and I with Professor Tony (the only LA's of our group) at the Fontana Del Diluvio




















Laura and I tree-huggin'




















in between some shrubs; I would love to play hide and seek in these shrubberies


































Fountain of the Moors















I spy a black cat...





























railroad across the bridge















That's a tight fit! Running right next to our bus.



Bomarzo















After Villa Lante we went to Bomarzo: the Park of Monsters. Here we ate lunch in a very school- cefeteria-like setting. I had a panini and some Wacko's chips! While we're all eating it was pretty quiet, unusually quiet for our group. So Tony asked if any of us had any stories to tell. Someone then asked Tony if he had any stories we should know about. His response, "Have I told you about the time my wife and I camped in East St. Louis?...". (Our collective reply was "WHAT!?") Then he proceeded to tell us a story involving a drive through liquor store and camping in East St. Louis.... I'm not sure any of us could stop laughing for a good five minutes!














Here is the cat that roamed around the park enjoying all the attention that he gets from all the visitors.














a nice entry experience through the row of trees


































gate to the main area of the 'monster' park




















The struggle between Giants; with an inscription that reads " if Rhodes is proud of its Colossus, I also can take great pride in my wood, and no one will ever do better than I did". This park dates back to 1552 (which is absolutely mind boggling to me!).




















A close up, he seems to have taped his broken fingers together. I hope it helps.















Pegasus




















Turtle, Woman, Whale


































The Teatre















Neptune















The Ogre




















The Leaning House, a very interesting experience walking inside



































The Temple Prince Orsini dedicated to his wife when she died.




















Caught Tony sketching the Ogre.

No comments:

Post a Comment